Sunday, December 5, 2010

Stepping out on that beam of love

Years and years ago, a dear friend told me this joke:
 
Two Sillies are standing on the edge of a crevasse. They want to cross to the other side but the crevasse is deep and treacherous and the distance too far to jump. One says to the other, "How are we ever going to get across?"

"No problem, I got me a flashlight!"

"An just how's that gonna help us?"

"Easy. You just shine the flashlight across the crevasse to the other side, and I'll walk across the beam! Then toss me the flashlight, and I'll shine it so you can cross after me!"

After some deep thought the first Sillie says, "Oh no, that won't work. I'll get
halfway across the beam and you'll shut off the flashlight!"

Now, my friend told me this joke in an attempt to lighten my mood. But I, being a philosophic type, interpreted it as a parable about the numinous, luminous nature of love and about trust and faith. I've been musing about that joke lately (and about the numinous, luminous nature of love); my musings led me to this delightful flashlight animation video: