Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Belarusian animation: Forest Tales 1/2 (+English subtitles)

This morning brings thick, slushy snow drops falling from the sky...they won't last, but the dog and I like to watch them making their heavy way to the warm ground nonetheless. I woke from a myriad of anxious dreams: meetings not attended, lines not learned for plays that were opening in minutes, materials for projects not gathered, not enough money for the food I needed, technology not working and a deep threat from a fey, artistic and dangerous young man. Of all those, the latter scared me the most, but oddly enough, during the attack, I said, "what do you need from me?" He answered that he needed a massage on the shoulders. So I embraced him, rubbed his shoulders and breathed out his tension. It seemed to help tremendously.


Anxiety and the fretfulness of wanting to stretch are themes that brought me to "Forest Tales" a Belarusian animation (apparently made of sand on a light table) I love the voiceover work and text, the wandering plot and the variety of anxiety monsters. (The piece comes in two installments)